Don't waste time guessing where a particular transaction in QuickBooks was posted. Get to the details with a few quick and easy shortcuts.
This is especially true with invoices and sales receipts where the accounting detail is not quite as obvious as that found on the write checks or enter bill screens.
For example, let's say that you needed to know what ledger accounts were impacted by the invoice shown below (click the image for a larger view):
Once you have the invoice window open (or whatever transaction it is for which you want to know the debits and credits), you can:
- Click the Journal button at the top of the data entry screen
- Click Reports > Transaction Journal
- Press CTRL + Y on your keyboard
No matter which of the options you choose, the transaction detail report will appear and help you understand exactly how the entry posted into your QuickBooks chart of accounts as shown below:
- QuickBooks keyboard shortcuts to write checks and use registers
- QuickBooks tutorials and training videos