As a quick recap, here are the three different versions ("flavors" as I like to call them) of the QuickBooks desktop product line:
- QuickBooks Pro
- QuickBooks Premier (i.e. Contractors' edition, Manufacturing and Wholesale edition, etc.)
- QuickBooks Enterprise
DATA COMPATIBILITY BETWEEN THESE VERSIONS
Keep this list handy - it will simplify things immensely as you evaluate your options:
- QuickBooks PRO data - can easily migrate to either PREMIER or ENTERPRISE
- QuickBooks PREMIER data - can easily migrate to PRO or ENTERPRISE
- QuickBooks ENTERPRISE data - can NOT migrate to QuickBooks PRO or QuickBooks PREMIER. You will need a third party to convert your QuickBooks Enterprise file to Pro or Premier.
EXAMPLE OF HOW THIS WORKS:
Your business currently uses Pro, but find your QuickBooks data file is getting too big and you want to move to Enterprise.
Once you purchase Enterprise, there is a built-in utility that automatically converts your existing QuickBooks Pro data to the Enterprise format. All of this happens the very first time you go to use Enterprise. In most cases, unless there is some type of trouble with the data file, this transition is very easy and causes no disruption to your business.
So, as you can see, moving between QuickBooks Pro and QuickBooks Premier is indeed possible to do.
In most cases, once a business has moved into the Enterprise version, there is no need for them to ever move back into the Pro or Premier versions.
- Did your QuickBooks barf on itself this morning?
- QuickBooks and wireless networks don't play nicely together