You may not have noticed it, but tucked off to the right side of the screen when entering transactions in QuickBooks is a tab that says "Transaction"
I recently ventured into that area for the first time and came across some pleasant surprises. Here is a screen shot of this area:
Nestled inside this area are three very helpful pieces of information:
- Summary information - who created the transaction, who changed it, etc. The "View" link takes you directly to the audit trail report for that transaction.
- Related transactions - a list of any transactions that are tied to this one (payments for invoices, etc.). The "History" link takes you to a very handy history report so you can see everything going on.
- Notes - This is the real find for me! Instead of being forced to enter specific information only in the Memo section, you have the ability to enter and track all sorts of details about THIS specific transaction!
This pane of information can only be found in QuickBooks 2011 and newer versions.
(Update: Apparently, this information is NOT available in anything other than the Accountants Edition of QuickBooks 2011. It is definitely available in Pro, Premier and Enterprise 2012.)
This was a great find for me!
Will it change the way you enter transactions in QuickBooks? Let me know your thoughts about this functionality in the comment box below.
- Upgrade to the latest edition of QuickBooks
- What's New in QuickBooks 2012?
- Discounts on QuickBooks 2012