Many users of the traditional versions of QuickBooks (Pro, Premier, Enterprise) may be quite surprised to learn that using them on a wireless network is NOT recommended.
That's right! These versions of QuickBooks are NOT designed to work on wireless networks (nor most other types of networks as discussed below).
According to the Intuit support site discussing how QuickBooks works on various types of networks, here is a brief recap of what you need to know about whether QuickBooks will work or not:
- Wired network (LAN) - good to go!
- Wireless network (WiFi) - not recommended. Not designed to work here.
- Windows Terminal Services network - only the Enterprise version of QuickBooks is designed to work in this environment. Pro and Premier users - not recommended.
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN) - not recommended. Not designed to work here.
- Wide Area Network (WAN) - not recommended. Not designed to work here.
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) - not recommended. Not designed to work here.
So, if you have been experiencing lots of lost connections, painfully slow performance and/or other headaches relating to your QuickBooks, it may not be QuickBooks fault this time!
Check in with your IT geeks to find out how your network has been configured. If it isn't in a wired format, you'll want to get their help to make it that way.