I recently came across a very interesting article in the Practice Development News from InSynq. The article offered some valuable insight into why businesses have opted to access their QuickBooks and other applications via a hosted solution instead of handling it in-house.
In the article, author Joanie Mann shares feedback received directly from their hosting customers. Here are the leading reasons why businesses opt for a hosted solution with InSynq:
- Ability to connect anytime, anywhere, with my applications and data (48.1%)
- Ability to collaborate with team members and/or clients (21.6%)
- Ability to focus on my business and not on my technology (10.8%)
- Benefit of knowing my data is secure (3.6%)
- Benefit of 24x7 technical support (2.4%)
- Benefit of predictability in IT cost (1.2%)
As you can see, businesses of all types really value the idea of anytime, anywhere access for their QuickBooks and other critical business software.
Based on my consulting work with small businesses using QuickBooks, I would have thought the "ability to focus on my business and not on my technology" would have scored higher in the survey. I see small businesses struggling on a regular basis with the technology piece of this (i.e. servers, networking, desktops, etc.). In fact, I've been in several businesses that were ready to toss their servers out the window.
If you find your business becoming more mobile and need "always on" access to QuickBooks, the use of a hosting service should be considered as a critical addition to your playbook.